As summer temperatures rise, it's important to keep your home cool and comfortable. Here are some air conditioning tips to help you beat the heat:
- Check your filters often. You may need to change them more often if you have multiple pets. A clogged filter reduces airflow into the system and reduces the output of cooled air. Restricted airflow also puts strain on the system, increasing the possibility of failure.
- Keep drapes and blinds closed to keep out direct sun.
- Minimize the use of heat producing appliances (ovens, dishwasher, dryers) during the peak heat of the day. Shower early or late in the day
- Consider adding to your landscaping. Planting shade trees near your home can greatly reduce the amount of heat gain on your roof.
- Avoid placing lights, TVs, computer equipment, or other heat producing appliances next to the thermostat. This will cause the thermostat to read the room temperature higher than it should and run the air conditioning longer than necessary.
- Seal all holes that let hot air into the home. This can be done by simply caulking holes or cracks around your doors and windows.
- Maintain your air conditioning system. Regular maintenance helps keep your system running at peak efficiency and will prolong the life of the equipment. The Energy Star program recommends two services per year; one in spring to prepare for the cooling season and one in fall for the heating season.
- Consider upgrading to a new high efficiency system. An older, lower SEER system may be costing you more to run and repair than a new system. Plus, newer technology provides better overall comfort and reliability.
- Use ceiling fans or portable fans to circulate air and create a cooler feeling in the room. This can allow you to set your thermostat a few degrees higher and save on energy costs.
Remember, regular maintenance and tune-ups by a licensed HVAC technician can also help keep your AC running smoothly and prevent breakdowns during the hottest months of the year. If you need air conditioning service or repair, contact a professional HVAC company like SS&B Heating & Cooling to keep your home cool and comfortable all summer long.